Tuesday 13 January 2015

WOYWW 293? Insight into how I work on a Project


Hello fellow Desker from Julia's place.  Welcome to my Desk over in sunny Cape Town, South Africa!

I have been on leave for a while, (nearly a month!) but have only managed to spend 2 days so far at my desk creating!  I decided to work my way through a box of leftovers from Conventions that I have attended over the years.  I say years...meaning at least 10 years!  I have always finished the convention projects, but then I would put all the off cuts and left over stickers in a box.  The papers were too pretty to throw away or give away, but I never got round to doing anything with them.

I challenged myself to using up all the bits on either cards or making scrapbook layouts if there was enough large pieces left.  The top photo shows all the various piles I had to work through! (I have done 4 of them so far!)

My process works as follows:

First I pick a pile of papers from one kit.
Embedded image permalink
If I am doing cards then I jigsaw the bits of paper together to make a card base and I see how many card bases I can get out of the pile of left overs.  This does not take me long at all.  All that is left of the pile above is the few pieces on the left of the photo below!
Embedded image permalink
Then I set about using the matching stickers or embellishments to decorate the cards.  If there are none, then I die cut some paper using pretty dies.  The decorating takes me hours!  It looks so simple...yet...

From this lot I have 3 sets of cards to give as gifts for friends birthdays.  I make a nice little folder to hold both the cards and envelopes for storage.  These are always so appreciated by the receiver!

21 comments:

  1. Brilliant that you have made so many cards in one go ! And used stash - well done you ! Snowing tonight as I type this - hate this as life grinds to a halt & it is a nightmare for Rich as he is unsteady enough on his feet let alone having icy paths to deal with ! Wish we were out there in the warm with you ! Love Ali xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing - I sometimes look at my 'piles' ... now I might take a leaf out of your book and make some cards!
    Thanks again - have a good week
    Bishopsmate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it was certainly worth your time and effort! You have ended up with such a beautiful lot of cards. Well done you! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and thank you for sharing
    Bridget #1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you go!!! I find it hard to concentrate on more than one card at a time, but your way is much more productive. Bravo on using up saved bits too!! They all look fantastic!

    Happy Crafting!
    Jeannie #17

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas :) I do this too but am slowly working through my baggies of leftovers from stamping classes I used to teach. I have an abundance of cards from doing that...lol Happy WOYWW Shel#56

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look really great and you make the process sound so simple! Gorgeous papers - it would have been criminal to throw them away! Happy WOYWW! zsuzsa @ InkyDinkyDoodle #47

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always make my work friends a handmade birthday pressie I think you have just given me an idea for this year .... Folder with cards in ... Thanks Bella. The first one isn't for months so I have time. I cannot really see yours as I'm on my phone and it won't let me zoom in today for some reason .... I'll pop back later
    Janet @19

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you did, but unlike Janet, I'm not on my phone, and I can't zoom in, either. I am so in awe of those cards, though. I have no patterned paper, but I can see where it would come in handy for both cards and scrapbook layouts. Glad to see your mojo has returned at least a bit. Happy WOYWW from #2.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well I saw the pile of cards the other day but seeing them all again here in detail is just great - what a wonderful use of all those leftovers!! Helen 5

    ReplyDelete
  11. the cards look brilliant, love the papers and its a great idea
    janet ... again

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is a super idea and no wasting time trying to match things. Brilliant Bella.
    sandra de @25

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow Sandra what dedication to use Snippets (you should link this up to the snippets playground!
    Love the finished result wonderful work :D
    Thanks so much for sharing ~ happy belated WOYWW!
    Shaz in Oz.x #44

    {Shaz in Oz – Calligraphy Cards blog}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great and thoughtful way to use up the bits and pieces. Thanks for sharing your process. Creative Blessings! Kelly #69

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Bella, that's a great way to get several cards made in one go.
    Happy WOYWW, Angela x 33

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great way to do it.....makes you wonder why you save em for a ten yearly do over!! I understand why the decorating takes hours I really do, but really, it's a fab way to use and give!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that's impressive to use up that much spare stash and your cards all look fantastic. Whom ever gets them will be a happy person hugs Nikki 17

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! I love to batch make too.
    Happy Deskday
    Laura
    38

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant idea! So you get quite a bit done. These cards are very pretty!
    Thanks for your earlier visit!
    Hugs
    Gabriele 44

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that is a clever way of putting things together, good for you, gosh you really rock with the speedy card making. Thanks for sharing they look fantastic. Thanks also for visiting already, I hope you have a wonderful week.

    Hugs Eliza & Yoda 45
    Belated WOYWW greetings

    ReplyDelete

Its always lovely to hear from you , so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. Please excuse word varification, I've been getting lots of spam comments.